Sunday, May 5, 2013

Reading the Right News

Throughout the school year, I have learned a lot about how to critically analyze a source before assuming that the information it provides is accurate and non-biased. So, I try to put that into practice. When I read an article on CNN, and then read an article about the same subject on the New York Times, there are always slight discrepancies. Why do those discrepancies exist?

First, there are obvious ideological differences. CNN and Fox News are pretty much polar opposites in terms of political viewpoints. So, if you read an article about a newly enacted policy by President Obama, it is likely that the article on CNN will be more approving of Obama and the policy as opposed to the Fox News article.

But, I am more interested in knowing when the information in the articles themselves are true. For instance, during the bombing in Boston, CNN, Fox News, the AP, the Boston Globe, and the New York Post all published articles that said a suspect was in custody, when that was not the case at the time. That got me thinking - have other articles I have read made factual inaccuracies too? I think the answer is yes, though I cannot be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment