Sunday, September 9, 2012

Healthcare

Just last night as I finished brushing my teeth, tripped over my suitcase and fell into bed on the fluffy Marriott bed. As all three of us - me, Zach, and Matt - sat in our beds with the lights off, we began to talk. Since we are at a debate tournament, we naturally began to talk about politics, the election, and matters like that. We all have different stances on politics, which fostered a good discussion about both candidates. What intrigued me most was our section of the discussion about Healthcare.

The Healthcare law, or as some call "ObamaCare", just recently passed the Supreme Court in June. This got me thinking about Americans and their priorities - why do some want near-universal healthcare, and why do some not?

I think that the reason that there are conflicting opinions on this all are rooted in one cause - money. I heard a story on NPR about how now the pizza company Papa John's now has to raise their price of pizza because they now have to pay additional money for Healthcare. The thing is, the price increase is 14 cents. They are extremely upset over minutely increasing the price of their product that most customers won't even notice.

This tells us a lot about Americans. They all think that money is the most important part of their lives. While this may be true, it still shows us a lot about Americans' priorities, and money is certainly number one. 

2 comments:

  1. I think most people don't understand that healthcare is an investment. The Papa John's situation demonstrates how people don't understand the implication of universal healthcare. There would be no more false claims which deny people coverage, and people would live much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jakey that it shows a lack of understanding in universal healthcare. I think this also tells us a lot about the modern American identity. We have turned into a people who value a small, short term gains such as saving $.14 per pizza over insurance transparency and lifetime savings of hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

    ReplyDelete